Last week, one of my fourth-grade students asked, “Is movie night still a thing? I just go in my room and watch Netflix.”
“Mais oui,” I answered him that yes, movie night is very much still a thing in our house.
In fact, it’s a favorite thing.
It’s so much a thing that my girls used to bicker over turns to pick the family movie. (I ended that battle with this tactic). Now, each girl get her pick every other Friday.
At least once a week – and mostly on Fridays – we sit down as a family, tucked under mounds of blankets, and watch a movie.
For us, movie night isn’t complete without popcorn. It’s the comforting companion to our movie nights – crunchy, buttery, full of carbs.
At the dawn of our movie nights, we’d pull out our popper and knock out some kernels, melt some butter, shake on some salt, and toss it all together in a large bowl.
A couple years ago, that changed.
One winter night, my husband and I ducked into our local brewpub, Revolution Brewery, for one of our favorite pretzels and a couple beers. As the server turned toward the bar, my husband stopped him to add on an order of this popcorn.
I pushed the bacon bits to the side, and was in heaven with the addition of nutty, grated parmesan.
From that day forward, my husband started experimenting and our popcorn evolved.
A few fresh ingredients later and he found a winner: popcorn paired with earthy rosemary and nutty Parmesan.
We still love classic popcorn – simple butter and popped corn doesn’t steer us wrong. Yet this recipe is a yummy treat … Plus, popcorn is so easy you can do either one or both.
Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn
What You Need
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese – (our favorite is BelGioioso)
- Salt, to taste
What You Do
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a small pan.
- Stir in the fresh rosemary and cook for under a minute or until the rosemary because slightly more aromatic.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pop the popcorn – on the stove top or in an air popper.
- Pour half of the popcorn into a large bowl. We have an older version of this one.
- Drizzle it with the half of the rosemary butter. Sprinkle the half of the freshly grated Parmesan cheese and a little salt over the popcorn.
- Give it a good shake and toss.
- Repeat the last three steps.
- Sit down, slow down, and enjoy the show.
I’m looking forward to the crisp weather to enjoy this easy popcorn recipe over and over.
P.S. How do you pick the movies for your movie night? I feel like we’ve maxed out on our family-friendly online Netflix and Amazon choices.
P.P.S. What’s your favorite family movie? There are so many solid (late elementary/middle school) choices from my childhood, but we’re not quite ready to dive into the likes of Ghostbusters.