Every time I drive up Western Avenue on the boarder of Wicker Park, we pass a flower and gift store. Inevitably the light turns red and we stop.
Without fail, Stella looks at the above dresses (which change about monthly) and asks, “What girl do you want to be?”
Then she tells me what’s what, “I’ll be this girl, and you be that girl.” She always chooses the poofy dresses and I get the straight ones.
My girls also ask “Mom, what girl do you want to be?” when they are playing the dress-up app on my phone.
It’s entertaining for them (and me!) to mix and match styles and create ensembles.
This is why I love the website Polyvore. Polyvore does for me what the dress-up app does for my girls. It’s paper dolls for adults.
A fashion editor at ModCloth asked me to pull together a couple layering looks for fall using their clothing and Polyvore. I jumped at the chance to virtually shop as I’m on a shopping hiatus.
How to Navigate Polyvore
- Create an account.
- Use this cheat sheet.
- Shop your favorite online stores. You go to your favorite websites and click on the items you like. Then clip the items to your Polyvore. For these fall looks, I pulled all of the items from ModCloth. ModCloth is like shopping the freshly cut sales at Anthropologie – unique style for less. Check out this incredible store if you haven’t already.
- Make Image Boards. Pulling from your items tab, you can compile different sets for you, for your kids, for your living quarters, for special occasions. It’s fantastic! You can review the style boards days/weeks later and really consider what appeals to you, what silhouettes work for you, what look you’re after. You can add, toss, or reconfigure.
- Mix & Match. I like contrasting pairings: Plaids and polka dots, denim and chevron, lace and zippers.
- School Girl. I was a Catholic school girl (K – 12), so the A-line cut plaid dress appeals to me.
- Vintage. Both the jacket and the shoes remind me of something my grandma wore in her youth.
- Versatile. I’m all in for a look that works for both work and weekend.
- Statement Piece: My favorite dress (see my profile picture) has birds on it. I love a statement dress that features animals.
- Sport-Chic. Slouchy hat and cowl neck poncho paired with stand-out costume jewelry is sport-chic for me.
What’s your go-to look this fall? What’s your favorite layering trend this season?
Ciao for now.
P.S. ModCloth has a great collection of sweaters to help you stay warm this season.